Dear Seniors and Parents
The College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) is promoting college access during the month of October through the NC Countdown To College initiative. The highlight of this month is College Application Week. From October 15th-19th many colleges in North Carolina will be waiving their application fees for students that apply during this week using their CFNC account. During the month students and their parents are encouraged to complete their Residency Determination (RDS) to secure In-state tuition at both Community Colleges and Universities as well as to qualify for North Carolina state grant funding for college. We recommend completion of FAFSA this month when the form becomes available October 1st.
During College Application Week school counselors and our college adviser will meet with all seniors during their English 4 classes to assist them with applying to at least one college. Below is the schedule for those meetings.
- Tuesday, October 16 - Jackson's English 4 Classes (Periods: 1, 3, 4)
- Wednesday, October 17 - Shannon's English 4 Class (Period 4)
- Thursday, October 18 - Bachand's English 4 Class (Period 1, and 4)
Seniors who do not have English 4 this semester will be given an assign time during college application week to meet with a school counselor or college advisor to complete a college application. Assigment times will be sent by email to this group of seniors on Wednesday, October 3. Seniors should check their school email address. These seniors should report to media center computer lab at their assigned time.
In order to participate in College Application Week all seniors must complete the following:
- Create a CFNC account if you do not have one by going to http://www.cfnc.org
- Complete Residency Determination (Parents will need to assist their student with this by providing their SSN and Driver's license information). To complete RDS go to https://ncresidency.cfnc.or
g/residencyInfo/home . Note: In order to complete RDS, students must have a CFNC account.
- Review and select the colleges that are waving their college application fees that you wish to apply to during CFNC College Application Week. List of NC Colleges Waiving Application Fees
If you have any questions, please contact a school counselor or college adviser.
Other Important Dates
- October 16th from 6 p.m to 8 p.m.: Help with FAFSA Parent/Student Workshop A college financial aid advisor will present on how to complete the FAFSA and assistance and computers will be availabe for families who would like to complete the FAFSA that night. Families who wish to complete the FAFSA will need to bring in their 2017 tax return. Please RSVP for this event by completing this form.
- October 19th during Flex: Interested seniors may sign-up to attend a FAFSA presentation to help understand the ins and outs of FAFSA. To register, please complete this sign-up form.
- October 26th during Flex: Interested seniors may sign-up to attend a presentation on scholarships. To register, please complete this sign-up form
UNC-Charlotte Levine Scholars -seniors who are eligible for this scholarship and wish to be nominated for this scholarship need to see or email Mrs. Southerland in Guidance by Friday, October 5.
NC State Goodnight Scholarship Nomination form due to NCState by Dec 1.