Welcome to Franklin County Schools!
Franklin County Schools is comprised of 16 schools and serves 7,900+ students from the communities within Franklin County. Located just outside of North Carolina's capital city, Franklin County is a Research Triangle community that offers residents a taste of small town life, with the convenience of suburban living.
Public schools in Franklin County first surfaced in 1868 as a means to offer the masses an education, free of charge. Prior to this, schooling was reserved for the privileged – resulting in a mere fraction of Franklin County’s population receiving an adequate education. By 1885, the number of public schools in the county grew to 84 – with an estimated 3,646 students being served in community-based school houses.
In 1914, Franklin County Schools’ Superintendent, Edward L. Best led an effort to consolidate the public schools throughout the county. With the help of private and grant fundraising, Best was able to construct 7 high schools and consolidate many elementary schools.
Over the next 75 years, many milestones were achieved including the desegregation of schools and the construction and renovation of nearly all the facilities we use today.
Most recently, the construction of Franklinton High School and the institution of the Franklin County Early College High School are making waves in our community’s educational future. The first Early College High School graduating class crossed the stage in 2014 with a diploma and Associates Degree – moments like these are what define our future, our commitment, our students.
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction compiles an annual report on schools throughout the state, click here to view our NC Report Card.