9th Grade-English I Honors Summer Reading Assignment
Note: This project is due on the second day of class. Late projects will receive a twenty point deduction.
Choose one of the novels listed below.
My Sister’s Keeper- Jodi Picoult Foul Trouble- John Feinstein
Friday Night Lights- H.G. Bissinger Deadline- Chris Crutcher
Paper Towns- John Green The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch
Whale Talk- Chris Crutcher Little Women- Louisa May Alcott
Flowers for Algernon- Daniel Keyes Ellen Foster- Kaye Gibbons
- Journal: In a spiral bound notebook (or similar composition book), keep a double entry journal on each chapter, completing each entry as you read. The top half of the page should reflect facts about the chapter, including notes on plot, setting, and characters. The bottom of the page should reflect your questions and observations about the plot, setting, and characters you have written about at the top. This journal must be handwritten. Typed journals will not be accepted.
Note: The four essays below should be typed according to MLA style. (Google OWL Purdue MLA for help.) Please provide textual evidence to support your writing. Use 12pt, Times New Roman, 1” margins, proper citations, etc.. Wikipedia and Spark Notes are not allowed as sources.
- Author: Research the author. Write a five paragraph report on the author’s background, works, and education. This paper should be in MLA format. (Google OWL Purdue MLA for help.). Use 12pt, Times New Roman, 1” margins, proper citations, etc. Wikipedia and SparkNotes are not allowed as sources.
- Character: In a five paragraph essay, write an analysis of the main character, focusing on the character’s personality, inner feelings, and motivations.
- Theme: In a five paragraph essay, analyze the theme of the novel, explaining what observations from life the novel focuses on and what the writer attempts to convey about life through his or her plot.
- Setting: In a five paragraph essay, explain how the setting is significant to the novel. What is the author able to communicate through the use of this particular place and time?