Human Resources

  • Careers at FCS
  • Substitute Training
  • Talent Ed Employee Forms
  • Teacher Support

Why Teach for FCS?


  • The Human Resources Department is responsible for managing and tracking the district's staffing needs. With over 1,100 full-time employees, Franklin County Schools is the largest employer in Franklin County, North Carolina. The district offers competitive benefits packages, including free dental, and life insurance for all employees. 

    The district also offers a competitive 8% teacher supplement, $1,000 signing bonuses for new teachers, $1,000 retention bonuses for returning teachers, tuition reimbursement for continuing education, and free dental and life insurance. 

    To view available positions, please click here. 

    Please contact Mike Zalewski at or 919-496-2600 to view Title IX training materials for employees. 

    For Future NC Teachers

    Are you interested in getting your teaching license? Our friends at have lots of free tools and resources to help you get started:

    • 1-on-1 advising calls to answer all your questions and choose an educator preparation program that’s right for you

    • how-to guides to demystify eligibility, testing, and financial aid

    • interactive application checklists to keep you on track

    • fee reimbursements to help cover licensure and testing expenses

    • a $1000 scholarship to help make your dream of becoming a teacher more economical

    Franklin County Schools and TeachNC are committed to helping you achieve your dream of becoming a teacher! Sign up for a free TeachNC account today to get started.

Human Resources Department

Name Title Email Phone
Mike Zalewski Chief of Human Resources (919)496-2600, ext.
Freda Clifton Executive Director of Personnel and Equity (919)496-2600, ext.
Shelia Ward Licensure/HRMS Coordinator (919)496-2600, ext.
Mitzi Abbott Benefits Coordinator (919)496-2600, ext.
Alyssa Peal Benefits Support (919)496-2600, ext.
Dottie Averette Beginning Teacher Coordinator (919)496-2600, ext.
      • Work Related Injuries 

        To report an injury and/or obtain forms, please contact your supervisor or Human Resources