STEM Academy in 60 seconds
Education in the STEM Academy is based on STEM 2026 and encompasses the following:
• Engaged and networked communities of practice• Accessible learning activities that invite intentional play and risk• Educational experiences that include interdisciplinary approaches to solving “grand challenges”• Flexible and inclusive learning spaces • Innovative and accessible measures of learning• Societal and cultural images and environments that promote diversity and opportunity in STEMSTEM Applications are due by May 1st!
Why STEM?“In the 21st century, scientific and technological innovations have become increasingly important as we face the benefits and challenges of both globalization and a knowledge-based economy. To succeed in this new information-based and highly technological society, students need to develop their capabilities in science, technology, engineering and math to levels much beyond what was considered acceptable in the past.”
(National Science Foundation)
What is the STEM Academy at LHS like?
- A rigorous academic program focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- Specific STEM classes, 4 each year, with special recognition at graduation
- Class content structured around “Engineering Design
- STEM Cohort experience 1:1 with Chromebooks
- Monthly field studies to explore career options.
- 25 hours of community service each semester.
Am I STEM ready?
Are you willing to work with others?
Are you able to think outside of the box?
Are you ready for a challenge?